RE@L is ready to roll-out our first among many new STEM-related products: “1Up On Vaping.”
Here’s what makes this new RE@LSTEM LearningProduct™ effective in stopping vaping or never starting: RE@L’s creative insights and extensive testing. Both are critical to teaching and learning success! In short, we know it works!
Plus: Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics all come into play. That’s our RE@LSTEM in action!
Teachers want to know: “How do I make this online fun-fact-filled, game-based learning work for my students?” The answers teachers seek are easily accessed via our revolutionary online RE@LPortal™. Answers and resources are an easy click away, and on-demand.
Students ask: “Where can I get more real-time tips when I need them so I can win this exciting game! Tips and resources for both students and teachers are easily found in our 24/7 online RE@LPortalResources.
The Most Frequently Asked Question By Curriculum Supervisor And Principal:
1) What is the purpose of this new RE@L LearningProduct? Well, here is the answer! RE@L’s new “1Up On Vaping”curriculum:
- Educates middle students on the dangers of nicotine use, vaping, and smoking.
- Informs students on the decisions they will be making about nicotine use.
- Alerts students to the many ways media and marketing messages encourage the use of nicotine.
2) How is this new RE@L STEM-Learning Product content delivered?
Content is delivered via the easy-to-use online RE@LPortalwhere each user can check-in using their access codes:
- All RE@L LearningProduct content is then available online for both school and for home use with computer or iPad.
- To assure security: No student data is saved by the Portal.
- All students in a school use the same access password.
- For security purposes, teachers can change passwords periodically.
3) What’s Different about RE@L’s new learning format? (Click on graphic to the right to learn more about national Standards)
- Content is conveyed via an animated Narrative story with 3 chapters that include embedded activities.
- Key story characters and storylinesare based on middle school/teenage students.
- Students then choose a character, a personal avatar, to guide them through the Narrative chapters.
- Users can choose to view the Narrative in either English or Spanish.
- The Narrative contains current, comprehensive, scientifically accurate information about nicotine use associated with vaping and smoking.
- Included are 4 interactive games that require skills and reinforce content retention. Students love playing them!
4) What topics are covered?
Importantly, key Learning Standards are met by RE@L’s “1 Up On Vaping” LearningProduct. Click on the CDC graphic below:
- Effects of vaping on the human body
- How nicotine actually damages human organs (especially the lungs)
- Various, harmful chemicals found in vapes and cigarettes
- How nicotine gets to and affects the brain
- Nicotine addiction issues
- Other serious diseases caused by smoking
- Reasons people start smoking
- The odds of quitting once you start smoking or vaping
- Smoking popularity in years past
- Peer pressure to use nicotine/tobacco
- How vapes and cigarettes are marketed to youth
- Practical reasons to never smoke nor vape again.
5) What help is provided to prepare a teacher to use the product? The RE@LComprehensive Teacher Guide™ can be accessed via the online Portal™. Ten helpful Orientation Videos, 3-20 minutes in length, provide the teacher with background on the instructional activities, including expert discussions about the vaping epidemic in schools.
6) How many computers or tablets and iPads are needed for a class to use the product? It is recommended that each student has their own device for access. The Teacher Guide suggests other alternatives.
7) What kind of classroom schedule is needed for using the product? Assuming class sessions last 45-60 minutes, the content can be taught in 4-7 sessions, depending on whether or not the teacher assigns external, related research projects. The Teacher Guide™ includes a unit plan and suggested projects. As former teachers, we know this can be a BIG help!
8) How can students be assessed for their understanding of the content? The teacher can assess student understanding in several ways: participation in teacher-led discussion, writing answers to questions provided in the Teacher Guide, and completing optional projects that require student Internet research.
9) Does the product meet national curriculum standards? Yes!“1Up On Vaping” correlates to the current National Health Education Standards. Dr. Halpern-Felsher addresses these issues. Click her photo on the right.
10) What computer models/tablets will operate the product correctly? Tablets, iPads, Chromebooks, Apple Macintosh computers, laptops and PC’s. Cellphones are too small to use effectively.
11) What browsers will operate the product correctly? Browsers: Chrome (recommended), Safari and Edge.
12) Does the product require headsets for audio? To present distraction, we recommend each student have a headset connected to their device for hearing the narrative dialogue plus the interactive games soundtrack.
13) Has the product been tested in actual classrooms? 1Up On Vaping™ was tested by 1,100 students, grades 6-8, in seven middle schools. Paper and pencil test data showed that students who used the product RETAINED the anti-vaping content.
96%!!! of the students loved the game and reached their own wellness conclusion successfully:
“I CHOOSE TO QUIT VAPING NOW OR NEVER START!”
THE MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION AND ANSWER FROM STUDENTS:
“WHERE DO I SIGN IN?
I’M READY TO GO WHERE RE@LSTEM™ LETS ME LEARN!”
Click this link to: Order Now
Any questions, just click: Here and RE@L will respond soon!